Friday 12 April 2013

The Bruce Trail and I



Along the south shore of Little Tub Harbour stands a rock cairn marking the northern terminus of the Bruce Trail.  For as long as I can remember, I’ve been fascinated by this magical footpath tracing the wilds of Ontario from Niagara to Tobermory.  My childhood adventures included an annual camping trip to Cypress Lake with a hike to the Grotto.  For me, it was a pilgrimage-a coming home to rocks, trees, and waters that absorbed all my youthful curiosity.  The Bruce Trail and I grew up together.  This year marks milestones for each of us.  The Bruce Trail Conservancy begins celebrating 50 years of trail commitment.  I begin my first End-to-End Hike.  Let’s get this party started!
In 1962, enthusiastic volunteers began the daunting task of establishing a trail along the Niagara Escarpment to raise awareness for its protection.  The trail required route planning, landowner consultations, clearing, construction, public education, and myriad other challenges.  Community support grew along the Escarpment, such that all nine member clubs were formed between 1962 and 1967.  Our local Sydenham Club began its ambitious work in 1962 and now maintains over 170 km of beautiful hiking trails.    “Fifty years of determination, support, vision, and hard work have created Canada’s oldest and longest marked footpath, and made the Bruce Trail Conservancy a leading land trust in Ontario.” (Bruce Trail Magazine)
The journey continues.  My earliest memories of the Bruce Trail are of hikes in what is now Bruce Peninsula National Park.  I knew the white blazes could take me south to Niagara or north to Tobermory.  I was called to walk but it seemed too far.  Did anyone really hike those distances?  It seemed impossible so I contented myself with short, random excursions with my family.  I was drawn to rocks and high places, especially loving the cliffs and fossil beds.  I would spend hours studying stones.  I ordered maps, tourist brochures, and flora and fauna guides.  These were favourite reading materials, and I longed to walk more of the Escarpment.  It became a life goal of mine to see the whole Bruce Trail.
In childhood, I walked mostly Bruce and Grey County trail sections.  I loved the Colpoys Bay shoreline hike with the spiral staircase climbing the cliff.  The views in Beaver Valley were spectacular, and may have contributed to Mom’s graying hair as we scrambled on high edges.  The coolness and mystery of Duncan Crevice Caves was amazing to me.  Inglis Falls crashing to the rocks below was another favourite walking area.  I feel so blessed to have had these opportunities as a child.  They were instrumental in my on-going love of nature and outdoor activities.
In 2012, I joined the Bruce Trail Conservancy for the first time.  I expect we will have a long and fruitful relationship.  As a member of the Sydenham Bruce Trail Club, I take part in hikes, work parties, social activities, and generally have a blast.  It is a most welcoming and friendly group.  In May, we will begin a systematic walk of our trail section from Wiarton to Blantyre.  I am very excited to get started on this long term goal.  Chatting with other members who have hiked the full 885 km, Niagara to Tobermory, has been inspirational.  It makes this daunting challenge seem feasible.  I find that moving through an area on foot creates a feeling of home.  The fast pace of our lives reduces the depth of connection with our land.  Walking can reconnect us.
And so it has.  In 1967, at the new rock cairn in Tobermory, the Bruce Trail was officially opened to the public.  The work of the Bruce Trail Conservancy continues to raise awareness and help protect the Niagara Escarpment.  In 1990, the Niagara Escarpment was declared a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, a globally significant natural heritage.  This is an incredible resource right here in our own backyards.  Are we appreciating, enjoying, and protecting it adequately for future generations?  Great accomplishments have happened; much remains to be done.  I plan to do my part in enjoying and protecting this priceless natural treasure.  I hope to see you on the Bruce Trail!
-Sandra J. Howe



Follow the white blazes

Through Boyd Crevice

Stunning views along Georgian Bay shoreline, Bruce Peninsula National Park

Head south along the beach

2 comments:

  1. Great article. I have many fond memories of the Bruce Trail as my father Floyd Deiter was quite involved with hiking. Found your blog while searching for an article I found years ago and wish I had saved. All I remember of that article was a rock cairn and the opening (I think) of a section of the trail. My dad and Gord McCaffrey were mentioned in that article and I thought my dad might like to read it. Of course, now that I am searching, I can't find it. However, I enjoyed your blog and your pictures. I long to go back and hike it again as an adult. Maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary! Hope you find your article. i still hike on Bruce trail at least once per week and love it!

    ReplyDelete